So, recently I decided to give into Goodreads. I’ve had an account for a year or two, I just never used it much. The basic daily navigation tools are ok, but for stuff like adding reviews, or finding out you have to rate or review 20 books before you get recommendations you have to dig. This may or may not have been explained when I signed up, but well, I no longer remember. Those following me on twitter @Onyxhawke will note I reviewed a bunch of books in the last 24 hours or so to get to 20.
When I first get their recommendations top it looked like this:
Scrolling down they put fantasy next:
And at the bottom:
I decided to click on the fantasy category which looks like this:
A quick trip through the 45 recommendations showed me a couple interesting things:
- No one I’d reviewed showed up.
- 16 of the authors were people I’d read something by.
- most of actually was fantasy despite the first screen showing a space opera.
- No real leaning towards an particular publisher, decade, or subgenre.
- Many of the books were a decade or two old, and most seemed to be the start of a series not a middle book.